MEUCE Teacher Workshop for Miami-Dade HS teachers (FIU)
|Venue:||FIU - GL 220|
The 1 day workshop (from 8:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.), "Understanding and Teaching the European Union: Hemispheric, Transatlantic and Global Perspectives", is sponsored by the Miami-Florida European Union Center of Excellence at Florida International University The workshop is designed to give educators an overview of the European Union and address issues affecting Europe and EU/US international relations.
Topics to be covered may include:
- The ABCs of the EU (History of the EU, Institutions & Major Policies of the EU)
- The Euro
- Multiculturalism in the EU
- EU-US trade relations
- How to use the European press for teaching the EU
This year, the workshop will be organized for Miami-Dade county High School teachers.
The workshop will also include discussion sessions that explore ways in which EU and EU-US topics can be brought into the classroom. Workshop participants will receive a packet of materials to use in the classroom.
- 1/ Markus Thiel: "The European Union - a Historical-Institutional Overview"
- 2/ Maria Lorca: "The Current Economic Crisis and Financial Uproar in the EU"
- 3/ Christine I. Caly-Sanchez:
The Delegation of the European Union to the United States (some interesting points)
- Key EU Message
- Interesting Facts about EU countries
- Europe Day 2010 - Talking Points