- About Us
The Miami-Florida Jean Monnet Center of Excellence, (MF-JMCE), formerly a consortium of Florida International University (FIU) and the University of Miami (UM), was established in the Fall of 2001 with support from the European Commission, as one of the ten original EU Centers of Excellence in the United States.
In 2015, in a global competition, the Miami-Florida European Center of Excellence at Florida International University was one of only seven US universities to gain the prestigious designation of “Jean Monnet Center of Excellence” by the European Commission.
- The Miami-Florida Jean Monnet Center of Excellence is a member of the EU Jean Monnet Network in the US.
- The Miami-Florida JMCE is a member of the global network of EU-sponsored Jean Monnet centers created in 1998 to promote knowledge of European integration and the implications thereof for the United States. The Jean Monnet network is a globally renowned brand, present in 78 countries around the world and involves more than 800 higher education institutions. Additionally, the Center cooperates with the European Union Studies Association (EUSA) to advance academic research in a number of fields concerning the EU.
- In addition, The Miami-Florida-JMCE received the Jean Monnet Project, a 50,000 euro grant over two years (2016-2017) to implement six high-level and high-visibility community roundtables on issues ranging from innovation & research, health to sustainability and environmental policies.
- The Center has been awarded a Public diplomacy EU grant ‘Getting to Know Europe’ from the Delegation of the European Union to the U.S. over two years (2017-2019)implement outreach activities in South Florida’s communities which foster an awareness of the role of the EU and European culture as well as environmental and socioeconomic resilience policies in building transatlantic cohesion and relations.
- The Miami-Florida JMCE, is administered through the Steven J. Green School of International and Public Affairs (FIU) and continues to cooperate with the Jean Monnet Chair (UM).
The mission of the Miami-Florida JMCE, is to promote teaching, research, and outreach activities relating to the EU. To accomplish this mission, the Miami-Florida JMCE, facilitates the development of new courses on the EU, provides for financial assistance to graduate students and faculty pursuing research on topics related to the EU, holds academic conferences on EU matters, sponsors public lectures featuring EU speakers, and conducts outreach workshops for educators, journalists and media professionals, and the greater Miami business community.
To view flyer, click here