On January 1, 2018, a decade after its accession to the EU, Bulgaria took over the rotating Presidency of the Council of the EU for the first time.
For six months, Bulgaria will be the main driving force for the tasks on the agenda of the Union.
"UNITED WE STAND STRONG" is the motto Bulgaria chose for its presidency
Bulgaria's Presidency has four priority areas:
- economic and social cohesion with a focus on the next EU multi annual financial framework, future Cohesion and Common Agricultural Policy, and a deeper Economic and Monetary Union;
- stability and security of Europe: common decisions on more security on the EU's external borders, more efficient migration management, laying the foundations of a Defence Union, including through implementation of the first EU Permanent Structured Co-operation;
- European prospects and connectivity of the Western Balkans: Bulgaria is intent on making the best use of its regional expertise, without creating any false expectations, to support EU accession-related reforms in the Western Balkan states and put them high on the EU agenda in view of the peace and stability in that region. At the same time the Presidency will work to provide more geopolitical and economic support for the Western Balkans through improving their road, railway, air, digital, educational and energy connectivity to the EU;
- digital economy and skills for the future: with a focus of completing the EU digital single market and development of digital economy and skills. This file includes the cyber security package, the copyright directive, the free flow of non-personal data, the e-communications code, e-privacy etc.
For more information on the Estonian Presidency of the Council of the EU, click on the following links:
- The Bulgarian Presidency website
- The Bulgarian Presidency Priorities
- The Bulgarian Presidency Program
- Trio Programme
You can read more about the presidency of the Council of the EU here.