- Upcoming Events
- MEUCE Two-Day EU Conference: "European Civil Society: Legitimacy through cooperation?" (FIU)
MEUCE Two-Day EU Conference: "European Civil Society: Legitimacy through cooperation?" (FIU)
|Venue:||FIU - MARC International Pavilion|
February 23-24, 2015
Two-Day EU Conference on "European Civil Society: Legitimacy Through Cooperation?"
This conference will focus on the role of civil society in the functioning of regional governance today. Civil society has gained significant influence in the EU and its member states in the past few years, no matter if in consultative and advocacy roles in a number of policy arenas, or as transnational social movements in reaction to the Euro- and subsequent austerity crisis. With its rise in prominence, questions of cooptation and legitimacy of civil society actors have appeared. The strengths and challenges of organized civil society will be examined in this conference, as well as the impact of transnational NGO activities beyond Europe (in Latin America, Eastern Europe, and in transatlantic relations).
- Monday, Feb. 23 | 5:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Justin Greenwood, Professor of European Public Policy, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, UK
“Participation of European Civil Society in the EU political system: squaring the legitimacy conundrum with Representative Democracy”
- Tuesday, Feb. 24 | 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Conference
- 9:00 a.m. - 10:45: Panel I: Theorizing the emergence of civil society in the EU
- 11:00 - 12:45 p.m.: Panel II: The Strengths and weaknesses of organized civil society
- 2:15 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. : Panel III: EU Civil Society: Looking beyond Europe, or being Euro-centric?
Keynote Address: Dr. Justin Greenwood
► To register, click here
- To view pictures Keynote Address - Feb. 23, click here
- To view pictures conference - Feb. 24, click here
► To view videos, click on the following links:
- Feb. 24: Panel III: EU Civil Society: Looking beyond Europe, or being Euro-centric?
- To view flyer, click here