BILAT USA 4.0 / HORIZON 2020
BILAT USA 4.0
"Bilateral Coordination for the Enhancement and Development of STI Partnerships between the EU and the USA"
► The Miami-Florida Jean Monnet Center of Excellence at FIU is proud to be one of the 6 American and 10 European partners in the BILAT USA 4.0, and to be a Bilateral Coordinator for the Enhancement and Development of STI Partnerships between the EU and the USA.
► BILAT USA 4.0 is the successor project of BILAT USA 2.0
About BILAT USA 4.0
EU-USA cooperation in research and innovation
The EU and the USA have highly-productive, immensely-innovative and excellence-driven research and innovation systems. Acknowledging the particular strengths of each landscape, a balanced transatlantic STI partnership of equals bears great potential and contributes to the ultimate goal of tackling societal challenges and boost economic competitiveness. International cooperation between power nodes results in a constant knowledge exchange and more efficient use of STI investment.
BILAT USA 4.0’s targeted transatlantic activities work towards:
- i) Strategic priority setting for EU-US cooperation through identifying emerging STI fields with a high benefit and added value from cooperation, thus providing evidence-based input for policy decision-making
- ii) Stronger interaction between EU and US researchers through thematic events promoting funding opportunities on both sides and thus strengthening the quality and quantity of partnerships between STI actors in EU MS/AC and the USA
- iii) Establishing optimal framework conditions through proposing concrete solutions for eliminating cooperation obstacles deriving from researchers’ and innovators’ feedback, thus, creating an environment that favors joint solutions for global challenges
- iv) Enhanced coordination and synergies between different policies through analyzing EU, MS/AC and US programs and detection of duplications, thus, contributing to a greater coherence, joint ownership and resource efficiency
- v) Ensuring close synergies with calls launched in H2020 and their int. dimension through screening of US-targeted actions in H2020 and liaising with relevant (ERA) projects to guarantee a consistent information exchange Ensuring sustainability, project activities build on former and liaise with existing initiatives. Relevance and exploitation of project actions will be assured by a close coordination with the EC. The project will pursue a targeted communication connecting the diverse range of EU-US STI stakeholders.
BILAT USA 4.0 priority areas:
- Marine and Arctic Research
- Nanotechnologies (NMP)
- Materials and new production technologies.
Three years - 36 months (February 2016 – January 2019)
► 10 European partners (IB-PT-DLR, APRE, EM, ETH Zurich, FFG, FORTH, Inno TSD, INTRA, SPI, ZSI)
► 6 US-American partners (Broad Institute, FIU,GTRC NCURA, SRI, WWICS)
The 16 partners represent a well-balanced mix of competencies, expertise and access to relevant stakeholder networks across the EU and USA. Partners are national funding organizations, research management agencies, multipliers, think tanks, research institutions and research and innovation consultancies.
Led by DLR-Project Management Agency with NCURA as the US co-coordinator, and other key partners such as APRE (Italy), SRI (USA), Wildrow Wilson Center (USA), BROAD (USA), FFG (Austria) and Intrasoft (Belgium, the consortium of partners from Europe and the USA will organize conferences, workshops and other events with the intention of improving and enhancing framework conditions for cooperation.
► The Miami-Florida Jean Monnet Center of Excellence at FIU is one of the 6 American and 10 European partners in the BILAT USA 4.0, and to be a Bilateral Coordinator for the Enhancement and Development of STI Partnerships between the EU and the USA.
► See below detail of all the partners:
- Austrian Research Promotion Agency - FFG(Austria, EU)
- Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich - ETH Zurich (Switzerland)
- Europa Media Szolgaltato non Profitkozhasznu Kft. - EM (Hungary, EU)
- Florida International University/Miami-Florida Jean Monnet Center of Excellence - FIU (Miami, USA)
- Georgia Tech Research Corporation - GTRC (Atlanta, USA)
- INNO TSD SA (France, EU)
- Intrasoft International SA (Luxembourg, EU)
- National Council of University Research Administrators (Washington DC, USA)
- SOCIEDADE PORTUGUESA DE INOVACAO - CONSULTADORIA EMPRESARIAL E FOMENTO DA INOVACAO S.A.- SPI (Portugal, EU)
- SRI International (Menlo Park, Silicon Valley, USA)
- Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars - WWICS (Washington DC, USA)
- Zentrum Fur Soziale Innovation - ZSI (Wien, Austria, EU)
- Project Management Agency at the DLR (German Aerospace Center)- IB-PT-DLR (Coordinator) (Bonn, Germany, EU)
► March 15-16, 2016: BILAT USA 4.0 Kick-Off Meeting
► Learn more at Horizon 2020, the EU's Framework Programme for Research & Innovation.
► More information on Horizon 2020
This project has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 692468.