- STUDENTS OPPORTUNITIES
- Chateaubriand HSS Fellowship Program
Chateaubriand HSS Fellowship Program
Chateaubriand Humanities & Social Sciences (HSS) is a fellowship program offered by the Cultural Services of the French Embassy in the US. It targets outstanding Ph.D. students from American universities who seek to engage in research in France, in any discipline of the Humanities and Social Sciences, for a period ranging from 4 to 9 months. HSS Chateaubriand fellows are selected through a merit-based competition, through a binational collaborative process involving expert evaluators from both countries.
Read more, click here
How to Apply?
- Candidates must be currently working on their Ph.D.
- Candidates do not have to be U.S. citizens, but they must be enrolled in an American university. However, French citizens are not eligible to apply.
- Candidates must obtain a letter of agreement from their advisor(s) in the U.S., as well as a letter of invitation from a professor affiliated with a French university or research institution. Please be in touch with your supervisor in France as early as possible. The history of the research relationship will be taken into account in the review process.
Three types of fellowships:
- 1) Fall Fellowship: 4 months, starts October 1st.
- 2) Spring Fellowship: 4 months, starts February 1st.
- 3) Year-long Fellowship: 8 months, starts October 1st.
Applicants' preference will be taken into account but not necessarily accommodated.
All application materials are due on January 7th 2020 - 12pm (EST)
HSS Chateaubriand fellows receive:
- A monthly stipend of 1500 €
- Health insurance for the entire duration of the fellowship
- A round-trip ticket to France
Each application receives two evaluations: one from a French scholar, the other from an American scholar.
The candidates’ applications and their scholars’ recommendations are then reviewed by a final selection committee.
The criteria taken into account include:
- Academic Relevance of the Research Project
- Beneficial Effects of a Research Trip to France
- Student’s command of the subject
- Contribution of the Project to the Global France/US Academic Exchange Context
- October 10, 2019: Opening of the 2020-2021 Chateaubriand Call for applications
- January 7, 2020: Deadline for application (12:00 pm EST)
- February to April : Bilateral selection process
- June 2020 : Communication of results via email.
ELIGIBILITY AND GUIDELINES, click here