The Miami-Florida Jean Monnet Center of Excellence and European & Eurasian Studies Program at FIU was pleased to participate in a roundtable discussion on GERMANY, THE UNITED STATES, AND THE CHALLENGES OF THE PANDEMIC held at the University of Miami on Oct. 15.
This Roundtable was financed by a generous grant from the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Washington, DC’s Campus Weeks Building Tomorrow program. The video was produced by 5801 Productions. Dr. Louise Davidson, Professor in Political Science at the University of Miami organized and held the event.
Join this expert-led discussion about how the Germany, the European Union, and the United States have responded to COVID-19. How have these countries been impacted by the disease, medically, politically, and economically? What is the current state of Transatlantic relations and what does the future hold?
- Dr. Louise K. Davidson-Schmich (Professor of Political Science, University of Miami),
- Mr. Andreas T. Siegel (Consul General of the Federal Republic of Germany to the Florida, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands),
- Dr. Zinzi Bailey (Assistant Scientist, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine’s Jay Weiss Institute for Health Equity at the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center),
- Dr. Markus Thiel (Associate Professor, Florida International University Department of Politics & International Relations),
- Mr. David Kramer (Senior Fellow in the Václav Havel Program for Human Rights and Diplomacy, Florida International University)
- Dr. Brian Blankenship (Assistant Professor of Political Science, University of Miami).
0:00 – Dr. Louise K. Davidson-Schmich “Introduction and Acknowledgements”
9:22 – Mr. Andreas Siegel "The German Response"
24:51 – Dr. Zinzi Bailey "The United States’ Response"
40:02—Dr. Markus Thiel "The European Union’s Response"
1:00:45 – Mr. David Kramer "Democracy and Human Rights during the Pandemic"
1:13:40 – Dr. Brian Blankenship “Transatlantic Relations in a Time of Pandemic”
1:30:25 - Questions from Students at the University of Miami and Florida International University
► To see pictures, click here
► To watch video, click here