Euro Challenge Competition
The Euro Challenge www.euro-challenge.org/wordpress/ is a program created and run by the Delegation of the European Commission, with assistance from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and support from The Moody’s Foundation, Credit Suisse and Deloitte & Touche. Euro Challenge is managed by Working In Support of Education (W!SE). Regional expansion has been achieved through the support and participation of the Federal Reserve banks of Chicago, Boston, and Miami, as well as the European Union Centers of Excellence at the Florida International University, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the University of Michigan, the University of Pittsburgh, the University of Wisconsin at Madison, the University of Texas at Austin, the European Union Center at the University of Illinois, and the DC World Affairs Council.
The Miami-Florida Jean Monnet European Union Center of Excellence at Florida International University is the recruiter in Florida for the Euro Challenge Competition. This is the 7th year in which the Preliminary Round-Competition will take place at Florida International University. This is the 6th year that the Miami-Florida Jean Monnet European Union Center of Excellence partners with the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta-Miami Branch.
In 2008, eight schools from Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, and St Lucie Counties, participated in the competition; ten schools in 2009; twelve schools in 2010; twelve schools in 2011; twelve schools took part in the competition in 2012; 10 schools from Miami Dade, Broward, Lee and Orange Counties in 2013; 11 schools from Miami Dade, Broward, Lee, St Lucie and Orange Counties in 2014; 10 schools from Miami Dade, Broward, Lee, Orange, Gainesville counties in 2015;10 schools from Miami Dade, Broward, Lee, Orange, Gainesville countries in 2016. As a result, senior high schools from Miami-Dade County high Schools have been represented at the national Euro Challenge Competition in New York (2008: two schools; 2009: three schools; 2010: three schools; 2011: three schools; 2012: three schools; 2013: three schools; 2014: two; 2015: two; and 2016: two.
Since 2008, MF-JMCE has selected ninety-three Florida high schools from Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, St. Lucie, Lee, and Orange counties, and sent twenty-three to New York to compete nationally. One Hundred fourty students have gone to New York representing their Florida schools.
Trinity Preparatory School: 2016 winners - 1st place
\ International Studies Preparatory Academy: 2016 winners-2nd Place
The Euro Challenge is an exciting educational opportunity for high school students (grades 9 and 10) to learn about the European Union (EU) and the euro. Student teams (3-5 students) are asked to make presentations answering specific questions about the European economy as a whole and the single currency, the euro. They will also be asked to pick one member country of the euro area, to examine an economic problem at the country level, and to identify policies for responding to that problem.
- Promoting Investment and Innovation
- Demographics and an Aging Workforce
- Banking Union and Financial Stability
- Globalization and Migration
- What Role Does Fiscal Policy Play in Promoting Economic Growth?
- Tackling High Unemployment
- Living with a Single Monetary Policy
- How to Overcome Slow Growth?
Euro Challenge Goals
- Increase students’ knowledge and understanding of the European Union and the euro
- Promote an understanding of economic challenges facing European Union member nations
- Support local learning standards related to global studies and economics
- Foster economic and financial literacy and understanding of economic policy issues
Miami-Florida Jean Monnet European Union Center of Excellence, FIU – Responsibilities
- Recruiting Florida High Schools (Miami-Dade County – Broward County – Palm Beach County, St. Lucie) – 9th -10th grades (team: 3-5 students)
- Organizing and hosting Teacher Workshops
- Organizing and hosting Student Workshop
- Organizing and hosting Competition in Florida and selecting 2 high schools that will be competing nationally for the semi-final and final rounds in New-York on April 19, 2016.
International Studies Preparatory Academy: 2016 winners in Florida - Recognition Award Ceremony at the FED
► Two-day Trip to NY for the two Florida HS Winners
- Cash Prizes for the top five winning teams (from $250 to $1,250 per student)
- Recognition and Award Ceremony for all semi-final teams
► One-day Trip to Washington D.C. for the top two teams
- Visit to the Delegation of the European Union, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve Bank, and the International Monetary Fund.
► Important date in Miami: 1st round competition in Miami-Dade: Thursday, March 10, 2016
► Important date in New York: Semi-final and final rounds in New York: Tuesday, April 19, 2016
Trinity Preparatory School - National Euro Challenge Competition Winner 2015 - NY
► For Calendar of Official Dates 2015-2016, click here
► For 2014 Competition FAQs, click here
► For PPT Euro Challenge Competition Overview, click here
► For resources,click here
- To view 2013 competition, click here
- To view 2012 competition, click here
- To view 2011 competition, click here
- To view 2010 competition, click here
- To view 2009 Competition, click here
- To view 2008 Competition, click here