Euro Challenge Competition
The Euro Challenge https:/www.euro-challenge.org is an exciting educational opportunity for 9th and 10th grade high school students to learn about the European Union (EU) and the euro. Teams of three to five students are asked to make presentations answering specific questions about the European economy and the single currency, the euro. They are also asked to pick one member country of the “euro area” (the 19 EU member countries that have adopted the euro so far), to examine an economic problem at the country level, and to identify policies for responding to that problem.
Launched in 2006, the Euro Challenge is a program of the Delegation of the European Union to the United States in partnership with The Moody’s Foundation, Working in support of Education (w!se) and the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. W!se is the National Coordinator of the Euro Challenge. The Program is also supported by BNP Paribas, Credit Suisse, the University of Washington, the University of Pittsburgh, the University of Illinois, the University of Texas at Austin, Florida International University, Rutgers University, the World Affairs Council of Pittsburgh, the World Affairs Council of Charlotte, the World Affairs Council of Seattle, the Texas Council of Economic Education, the Council of Economic Education of Rhode Island, the Maryland Council of Economic Education, the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta (Miami Branch), the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago and the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago (Detroit Branch).
The Miami-Florida Jean Monnet European Union Center of Excellence at Florida International University is the recruiter in Florida for the Euro Challenge Competition. This is the 11th year in which the Preliminary Round-Competition will take place at Florida International University. This is the 10th year that the Miami-Florida Jean Monnet European Union Center of Excellence partners with the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta-Miami Branch.
In 2008, eight schools from Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, and St Lucie Counties, participated in the competition; ten schools in 2009; twelve schools in 2010; twelve schools in 2011; twelve schools took part in the competition in 2012; 10 schools from Miami Dade, Broward, Lee and Orange Counties in 2013; 11 schools from Miami Dade, Broward, Lee, St Lucie and Orange Counties in 2014; 10 schools from Miami Dade, Broward, Lee, Orange, Gainesville counties in 2015;10 schools from Miami Dade, Broward, Lee, Orange, Gainesville countries in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. As a result, senior high schools from Miami-Dade County high Schools have been represented at the national Euro Challenge Competition in New York (2008: two schools; 2009: three schools; 2010: three schools; 2011: three schools; 2012: three schools; 2013: three schools; 2014: two; 2015: two; 2016: two, 2017: one; 2018: one; and 2019: one.
Since 2008, MF-JMCE has selected one hundred seven Florida high schools from Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, St. Lucie, Lee, and Orange counties, and sent twenty-four to New York to compete nationally. One Hundred fourty-five students have gone to New York representing their Florida schools.
Trinity Preparatory School: 2016 winners - 1st place
\ International Studies Preparatory Academy: 2016 winners-2nd Place
The Euro Challenge competition for 9th and 10th grade high school students tests their knowledge and understanding of the European economy and the euro, the currency shared by 19 countries of the Euro Area. For the 2020 Euro Challenge competition, which will take place in the spring of 2020, student teams will be asked to make 15-minute presentations during which they are required to:
- Describe the current economic situation in the euro area.
- Select one economic-related challenge confronting the euro area as a whole (see list below), and pick one of the 19 member countries of the euro area to illustrate that challenge.
- Recommend a policy or policies for addressing the challenge you identified in the country you selected. Be sure to include in your recommendation a discussion of how having a single currency may or may not affect the policy choices for addressing the challenge.
Teams can choose one of the following economic-related challenges:
- Demographics and Aging Population
- What Role does Fiscal Policy Play in Promoting Economic Growth
- Living with a Single Monetary Policy
- Tackling High Youth Unemployment
- Managing Migration Flows
- Inequality and Social Mobility
- Innovating for Long Term Growth and the Future of Work
- Increase students’ knowledge and understanding of the European Union and the euro
- Promote an understanding of economic challenges facing European Union member nations
- Support local learning standards related to global studies and economics
- Foster economic and financial literacy and understanding of economic policy issues
Miami-Florida Jean Monnet European Union Center of Excellence, FIU – Responsibilities
- Recruiting Florida High Schools (Miami-Dade County – Broward County – Palm Beach County, St. Lucie) – 9th -10th grades (team: 3-5 students)
- Organizing and hosting Teacher Workshops
- Organizing and hosting Student Workshop
- Organizing and hosting Competition in Florida and selecting 2 high schools that will be competing nationally for the semi-final and final rounds in New-York on April 28, 2020.
International Studies Preparatory Academy: 2016 winners in Florida - Recognition Award Ceremony at the FED
► Two-day Trip to NY for the two Florida HS Winners
- Cash Prizes for the top five winning teams (from $250 to $1,250 per student)
- Recognition and Award Ceremony for all semi-final teams
► One-day Trip to Washington D.C. for the top two teams
- Visit to the Delegation of the European Union, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve Bank, and the International Monetary Fund.
► Important date in Miami: 1st round competition in Miami-Dade: Video Conference:
End of March, 2020
► Important date in New York: Semi-final and final rounds in New York: Tuesday, April 28, 2020
Gulliver Preparatory School - National Euro Challenge Competition Winner 2019 - NY (3rd place)
Trinity Preparatory School - National Euro Challenge Competition Winner 2015 - NY
► For Calendar of Official Dates 2019-2020, click here
► For 2014 Competition FAQs, click here
► For PPT Euro Challenge Competition Overview 2019, click here
► For resources,click here
- To read 2017 testimonial, click here
- To view 2016 competitition, click here
- To view 2013 competition, click here
- To view 2012 competition, click here
- To view 2011 competition, click here
- To view 2010 competition, click here
- To view 2009 Competition, click here
- To view 2008 Competition, click here